Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Burundi Namahoro (Peace in Burundi)

Loved ones!!

It has been too long since my last update, but this is not for a lack of effort! I have had problems with my laptop, internet connection and flashdrive, but after jumping all these hurdles I bring you an update from a well-adjusted and happy American girl in Burundi. Perhaps the computer situation is just a small taste of what life is like in Africa - you can't count on anything at any given time, so I have had to develop patience, flexibility, and a sense of humor about it all. We use the term "African time" which translates to "late everytime". When you want to meet someone at 3pm, please don't expect them to show up anytime before 4pm, and don't be surprised if they arrive around 5pm. And the demand for variety and reliable service is unheard of here. At restaurants, you may want to order a salad and beef with rice. But on this particular day, they don't have salad or any kind of meat, in fact, all they have are peas and rice. So, that is what you eat. No Burundians complain about the lack of choice, they accept it as the norm and are thankful that they have money to eat at all. It has taken some time to adjust to these cultural differences, but I am learning how to make it work. For example, I wake up every morning knowing that my day will probably not go according to the plan I have set in my head. Then, when the unexpected comes my way, I am able to be flexible and even enjoy the spontaniety, because it's required for life in Africa. I have also learned to bring a book everywhere. That way, when I am waiting for meetings with people I don't get annoyed or frustrated, I just get lost in a book. I haven't read this much since I graduated 5 months ago!
I am starting to fall in love with these people and this place, and this makes adjusting that much easier. I realize that people are late because they take the time to talk with everyone the meet on their way. Everyone is greeted with a handshake because every person is important, valued. The sense of community here is natural, so the bonds are strong and it feels of family. Perhaps that is why I feel at home here already.
Many friends from home have expressed a common sentiment: "I can't even imagine what your life is like in Burundi!" The funny thing is, there are days when I can't imagine what my life will be like that day either! I am still being introduced to these people and this country, and to all the ministries that are part of YFC. My life has varied from attending house prayer meetings and visiting english classes around Bujumbura, to time spent in the mountains of Gitega milking cows, learning to cook Burundian food for 20 people over a fire, hauling bricks to build an orphanage, planting avocado trees and learning Kirundi from 4 year old orphans. Life is not yet predictable, but maybe I like it that way. Every night I have been going to bed with the feeling that I have truly seized the day, that I am living life to the fullest that i know how. I trust that my time here is the beginning of deeper relationships and broader cultural understanding that will benefit not only myself and the people of Burundi, but all of you back at home. I realize that to have so much contentment is highly unusual back in the States, that we are always seeking something greater, better, and more efficient. I don't think that sense of seeking is gone from me, but I seem to have more patience and trust than I did before, so I am able to find joy in everyday life with more ease. This is something I have learned from Africans - how to find joy in any situation. Because life in Burundi has been filled with hardships since the colonial era, Burundians are experts at surviving well: laughing despite their empty stomachs, dancing even though they aren't given the opportunity for education, and singing even as the death rate from HIV/AIDS climbs.
Yet there is hope! Especially in this month of January, it seems that Burundi is entering a new season of peace and development. The president has taken a stand against corruption in his own party, and peace looks more attainable for this nation than ever before. I would recommend www.allafrica.com for regular updates on the political situation in Burundi.
I will be updating again soon with more details of happenings at the orphanage. And hopefully pictures! Also, thank you to everyone who has commented! I love reading your feedback, even if I don't have time to respond to everyone personally. Know that your comments make me smile and transport me home, even for just a moment.

Peace and grace from across the pond,
Christine Merle


P.s. Boo Bears. I heard the news today. Most people here don't even know what American football is, much less what the superbowl is. Life goes on!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Christine,

It is great to hear about your settling in, and about the joy you are finding in that. We are praying for you regularly. It is soooo cold in Chicago now. Wish we were there! God is good. Keep walking in the light.

Pastor Ric

chb said...

Dear Christine,

Hi from sunny Tuscon! We have been making the most of our week of sunshine and mild temps(away from Chicago)!
It was great to read your update of life in Burundi and all you are experiencing. We love you and pray for you every day.
love xoxo mom and dad

Unknown said...

Christine!
So much has happened in this past week! Krystal had the baby at 3am Wed. morning and they are both doing great. It was so amaising to be present through Krystal's labor and the baby's birth. I was right there watching when her head popped out - she was sucking on her fingers. And I got to cut the umbilical cord! Krystal was absolutely amaising through the whole thing, I have never seen someone go through something so tramatizing with so much grace before. She decided to name the baby Arianne Phoenix Hamilton, but we are calling her Phoenix. She weighs 6lbs. 12oz., is 19 inches long and has dark brown hair and blue eyes. She is such a good baby!
I'll have to email you pictures. And hopefully Krystal can write you an email and tell you all about it. What a story!
Love you lots!
Julia

Fred Sasaki said...

Dear Christine,

Thank you for continuing to post. I love reading your notes from Africa. I send my best wishes for fast Internet and laptop health!

Funny note about "African Time": in Miami, Jen and I ran on "Cuban Time," which everyone always talked about and understood as a cultural predisposition to running late. As you may remember, Jen is Cuban. I am Japanese and Polish, but I am still always late, as you know.

Jen just told me about how Thomas Jefferson would never waste a moment. He too carried a book at all times and read even if he arrived somewhere one minute early. He, apparently, was never late.

I'm delighted to read your good words about the people and your remarkable work. Burundi is blessed by your presence.

Carpe diem,

Fred

Blanche said...

Hey Christine...so good to hear about how you are doing!! I wish I could be there with you...but think of me & I will think of you! I have made a final decision, I am definitely going back home, leaving middle of May, and going to run with the non-profit project with the township schools. I am a little nervous but also really excited. Doing this will also give me access back into the country, as the main base of support will be here in chicago...so I'll be back (for visits)!! Well..africa sounds wonderful & amazing...as it always is...& I know how the people really do get into our hearts, it's amazing, I love it! Well, enjoy every moment & keep your options open, we never know where the LORD might want to take us next! Hope to chat soon! When do you come back again?
Luv ya
Blanche :)

sara said...

hey christine. amakuru? i haven't had a chance to read through your blog yet but will do. check out my blog if you want... http://saramathews.blogspot.com

see you at the pool!
sara

ajengelman said...

MERLE!!!! i am going to write you an email, but i decided to leave you a little comment as well, since they make you smile. my heart is overwhelmed for you and i am so glad to hear how amazing this experience has been thus far. i am praying for you and think about you and what you are doing all the time. i want to milk cows with you and grab crocodile tails and be back in a world where life doesnt revolve around schedules, but around relationships. i guess it is up to me to choose to live that way, despite the heavy influences around me. i am so proud of you and love you dearly. keep giving us blogs and i would love to see pictures of your beautiful face. love you..........aj

heather sue said...

i am missing you!